ABOUT TODAY’S EPISODE | DEANNA SCORTINO
Deanna Scortino was the #1 sales rep in the Cutco/Vector Marketing sales organization in 2020. She overcame tremendous challenge and uncertainty to finish the year with an astounding sales total of over $865,000. A 22-year veteran with the company, Deanna got really serious about selling Cutco after graduating from Chapman University in Southern California. Since that time, she has won 5 National Championship Silver Cups en route to becoming the #5 overall sales rep in Cutco history. Deanna’s signature trait is her authenticity. What you see is what you get : personable, funny, passionate, sometimes raw, and always unfiltered. Through being her authentic self, Deanna has been able to attract others to her. She has a healthy marriage, countless friends who admire her, and a base of loyal customers virtually unequaled in the history of Cutco.
GET THE FULL INTERVIEW WITH DEANNA SCORTINO
CLICK HERE to get access to the full interview and show notes with Deanna Scortino!
Q&A WITH DEANNA SCORTINO
Q: Tell us a little about how you got started selling Cutco with Vector.
- I was still in high school and my parents wanted me to go get a job so my mom found an ad in the newspaper and I went in to the interview and got excited. My mom heard I would be selling knives in people’s homes and didn’t want me to do it but after some discussion she allowed me to take the job.
Q: What were some of the early experiences you had selling Cutco and what were some lessons you learned?
- Early on, because I was so young, I just didn’t have a lot of worldly experiences and my manager was really great at putting things into perspective for me. He would always remind me that “it’s not a big deal.”
- It was also significant that the office I was first working in was the very first office in the company’s history to sell $1,000,000 of Cutco in a year, so being immersed in that environment helped me learn what it looked like and what it took to succeed at a high level.
Q: In 2005 you explored the job market and after seeing what was out there, you decided to make Cutco your full-time job. 2006 was the first year you really took things seriously. What went into making that choice to pursue Cutco full-time?
- I saw Cutco as a place where I can continue to grow and I can help others along the way and that’s what’s really important to me.
- If you keep doing what you’ve always done you’ll keep getting what you’ve always got.
Q: What do you feel are some of the most important attributes you bring to your work?
- I work extremely hard. I love being there for my customers and I’m willing to grind.
- But I also like to bring fun to my work.
Q: How do you strike a balance between working so hard to achieve your goals while also having fun and enjoying the process?
- It comes down to knowing what it’s all for. You can work hard but you need to also validate yourself for the work and the accomplishments.
- Something that’s new for me this year is to set boundaries for myself around my work so this year I’ve committed that I won’t work past 7pm, which is hard for me.
Q: You’ve grown your business significantly since 2013 (selling about $254,000 in 2013 and finished 2019 over $806,000). How does that happen? What has most impacted or inspired you to grow your sales so much over these past few years?
- It comes down to “why” that kind of growth is important to me.
- My dad and grandfather always worked hard and were successful at what they did and I think that’s always been a driving force for me.
Q: What role does Chuck (Deanna’s husband) play for you?
- He does a lot of my marketing, business finances, travel arrangements, and running the house.
- Chuck always told me, “once we master it we can delegate it.”
- And he’s super honest with me and provides a neutral-party opinion on things that can be very valuable.
Q: How did you two come to have such a great relationship? Was it always like that or is it something you’ve developed?
- We’ve developed our relationship by developing ourselves.
Q: How do you feel like you want to inspire others, in or out of the business?
- I’d like to inspire others to take things to the next level by taking things to the next level for myself.
- Set an example that no one is expecting and everyone would admire.
- Never take advice from someone you do not admire.
Q: As you look into the future, how do you aspire to change people’s lives through your work or through your influence?
- I really want to help more people in and out of the company. I love the idea of creating a board of directors/advisors for Cutco to bridge the gap between the field and the company’s leadership.
- I’m excited about creating our own family at some point while also continuing to deepen my relationships in my existing family.
Show Notes for this episode were provided by Carlo Cipollina.
To learn more and get access to all episodes, visit our podcast page!
BRÈINFÚEL is a new beverage co-founded by Silver Cup Cutco alum Colton Horn. This is NOT an energy drink, but instead is a scientifically derived blend from coffees, teas, collagen, and antioxidants. BRÈINFÚEL uniquely puts your brain and body in the zone, prolonging mental focus, sharpening alertness and decision-making, and protecting your brain from burnout.
Be Smarter. Think Faster. Live Beyond. Go to Breinfuel.com and use the code “CLSK” at checkout for 35% off your first order (unlimited quantity!).
CVI (Core Values Index) is the most reliable personality assessment ever created. Many leaders – both in and out of Cutco/Vector – have used CVI to learn more about themselves and about the people they lead. You can get your FREE CVI assessment by visiting here. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and you’ll get your results immediately. You’ll then have the option to upgrade your report to a detailed assessment that will blow you away with its insight. Click here to take your FREE CVI test.
Organifi is the Cutco of superfood blends, made with only the highest-quality, plant-based ingredients. The “Green Juice” contains 11 superfoods, like moringa, spirulina, beets, turmeric, and other all natural, organic ingredients. It’s a great breakfast replacement, and so easy to use … you just mix it with water when you’re ready to drink. My personal favorite is their “Gold Tea,” which boosts your immunity and helps you sleep.
You can visit here to check out the full line of Organifi’s products. You get 15% off everything they carry by using the discount code “CLSK.” Try something from Organifi today!
If you like wine, but sometimes get a headache from drinking it, you need to try Good Weather Wine, founded by legendary Cutco/Vector alum Mark Lovas. All their wines are sugar-free, low in sulfites, and with no additives. You can get a monthly shipment of 3, 6, or 12 bottles, and they’ll make it super easy by making the selections for you based on your preferences. It’s like having your own wine buyer to help you pick.
Check out GoodWeatherWine.com to get started, and enter the discount code “CLSK” when you check out to get free shipping on your order.