ABOUT TODAY’S GUEST | VONNY FAST
Q&A WITH VONNY FAST
Q: What are you most excited about for the podcast today?
- I heard Angie McDougall say that people need to hear your story, and if it helps one person and I can be that person for someone, I think that’s what I’m excited about.
Q: What were some of the early experiences you had selling Cutco and what were some lessons you learned?
- I rode the bus for my first $30,000 in sales and made it to the top sales level Cutco had at the time. I originally just wanted to get the minimum pay and work for one summer and quit.
Q: Were there any transformational moments you can specifically remember?
- I remember going to my first sales conference. I only wanted to go because we had to fly there and I had never been on a plane before. But once I got to meet people who were not your typical salespeople, and I saw them getting recognized for a promotion, and I saw something they had that I wanted but didn’t have within myself, I felt inspired.
- Through this I learned the power of a decision in a moment to change the trajectory of your life.
- At that conference I decided that if I could hit that same promotion level these people were being recognized for, maybe then I’ll become what I see here.
Q: So you start this as a part time job but as some point you decided to make this a full-time career. Walk me through that.
- It was really just baby steps. After my 2nd summer selling Cutco I hit FSM and then I thought about the next challenge, so the next summer I opened a Branch office.
Q: And you went on to run a 2nd branch office and then you decided to make it a career and go District. Walk me through that.
- The opportunity came up and it just made sense, and my rookie year as a DM I had some decent success, but the 2nd year I had a real identity crisis. That was the year I came out of the closet to my family. I decided that I needed to take a break from life and travel to find myself.
Q: So you step away from a successful office to go find yourself and then you came back to the business and then what?
- I came back and didn’t know what I was going to do and I was in the office and there was a phone line and I just started to make calls. I just thought, “I’m going to start this thing back up.”
- What’s one thing I can do right here, right now with what I have?
Q: And this was before we had a true sales professional career position with the company, but you were one of the trail blazers for that. What happened when you took your career from selling $30-50k per year and making OK money to really making this something significant?
- Wouldn’t you know it, but I was at a conference, and a speaker came in to give us an inspiring message, and I got so wrapped up in his message. Aterward our team all met up after and I was so inspired that I told my team that I was going to sell $100,000 for one campaign (a 4 month period of time in the Vector/ Cutco sales year) and it terrified me to say it aloud.
- I knew I’d have to do something different so I hired a coach, Jon Berghoff, and he helped me do it!
- Get help when you know what you want to do but you don’t know how to do it.
Q: And now you work with business owners and Real Estate agents and sell branded gifts. How did you go from doing in-home appointments to working with professionals for their branding and marketing?
- I felt like I had topped out and mastered my craft and I wanted to do something different, but I didn’t want to leave Cutco because I loved the product and I loved the people, but I felt like I really needed to spread my wings.
- Again, I was at a conference and I heard Tony Carlston give a message about selling closing gifts to Realtors and how Cutco was the perfect fit for them.
- I was really nervous to speak in front of people and the way Tony explained the process was to book a speaking time at a team meeting held at a Real Estate office. I didn’t know what to expect but I collected everyone’s business card, set up 9 appointments, and 7 people ended up placing an order and I had sold like $9,000 and I thought, “there might be something to this.”
Q: What would you say are keys to personal leadership?
- Grit for sure. I show up daily… regardless of what’s going on in my life. I’m a really good boss to myself.
- Coaching myself (reading, podcasts, etc) and coaching with mentors.
Q: What’s coming up next for you?
- I want to follow the joy more. I want to do more of the things I enjoy and less of the things I don’t enjoy.
- What’s one thing I could do right now with what I have?
- Grit is critical. SHOW UP EVERY DAY.
- Following the joy – What makes you come alive?
Show Notes provided by Carlo Cipollina.
To learn more and get access to all episodes, visit our podcast page!
BRÈINFÚEL is a new beverage co-founded by Silver Cup Cutco alum Colton Horn. This is NOT an energy drink, but instead is a scientifically derived blend from coffees, teas, collagen, and antioxidants. BRÈINFÚEL uniquely puts your brain and body in the zone, prolonging mental focus, sharpening alertness and decision-making, and protecting your brain from burnout.
Be Smarter. Think Faster. Live Beyond. Go to Breinfuel.com and use the code “CLSK” at checkout for 35% off your first order (unlimited quantity!).
CVI (Core Values Index) is the most reliable personality assessment ever created. Many leaders – both in and out of Cutco/Vector – have used CVI to learn more about themselves and about the people they lead. You can get your FREE CVI assessment by visiting here. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and you’ll get your results immediately. You’ll then have the option to upgrade your report to a detailed assessment that will blow you away with its insight. Click here to take your FREE CVI test.
Organifi is the Cutco of superfood blends, made with only the highest-quality, plant-based ingredients. The “Green Juice” contains 11 superfoods, like moringa, spirulina, beets, turmeric, and other all natural, organic ingredients. It’s a great breakfast replacement, and so easy to use … you just mix it with water when you’re ready to drink. My personal favorite is their “Gold Tea,” which boosts your immunity and helps you sleep.
You can visit here to check out the full line of Organifi’s products. You get 15% off everything they carry by using the discount code “CLSK.” Try something from Organifi today!
If you like wine, but sometimes get a headache from drinking it, you need to try Good Weather Wine, founded by legendary Cutco/Vector alum Mark Lovas. All their wines are sugar-free, low in sulfites, and with no additives. You can get a monthly shipment of 3, 6, or 12 bottles, and they’ll make it super easy by making the selections for you based on your preferences. It’s like having your own wine buyer to help you pick.
Check out GoodWeatherWine.com to get started, and enter the discount code “CLSK” when you check out to get free shipping on your order.