ABOUT TODAY’S EPISODE | RACHEL RICHARDS
Rachel Richards is an incredible example of financial success at a young age. As a Cutco/Vector sales rep, Rachel succeeded at a level high enough to pay her way through a private college, Centre College in Kentucky, and graduated debt-free with a degree in Finance. She worked as a Financial Advisor for a while, then moved over to working in the Real Estate industry, where she developed the skills to successfully invest in rental properties. By age 27, Rachel and her husband had accumulated 6 properties and 38 total units. Rachel is the author of two bestselling books, Money Honey, and Passive Income, Aggressive Retirement. Rachel also facilitates the Get Your Financial $hit Together course for Cutco TLA reps each fall. Her passive income from her rental properties, royalties, and online courses is now $15,000+ per month, more than enough to cover her personal expenses. This has enabled Rachel to “retire” from her formal work and pursue her passion of teaching others about financial independence. Rachel is currently traveling around the United States with her husband and dog, while continuing to teach women and Gen Zers about money management.
Q&A WITH RACHEL RICHARDS
Q: Let’s begin by talking about how you got started with Cutco/ Vector.
- I had read a lot of financial books and had the goal of graduating college debt free. The only problem was that there weren’t any companies hiring high school graduates and paying them enough money to pay their way through college.
- I got a letter in the mail to come work for Vector selling Cutco so I came in to the interview. I was the office’s first $10k Fast Starter.
Q: Tell us about some of your early experiences that provided lessons for you.
- This was my first sales job and one thing you learn in sales is that you have some good days and some bad days. But I liked not knowing what would happen on a day-to-day basis.
- I also learned to not take things personally.
- I learned the importance of standing out, which was especially useful as a college student. Because of my experience selling Cutco with Vector, I was offered 5 jobs after graduating from college.
Q: You graduated college in 3 years and did it debt-free. How did you do it?
- For one, I started to work on this early on in high school. So I did everything I could possibly do to stand out in all areas including sports and academics hoping to get a scholarship. I also took as many AP classes as possible so they would count towards college.
- When I started college I received a $30,000 scholarship and because of my AP classes I started as a 2nd semester Freshman.
- The 2nd thing I did was getting a high-paying job selling Cutco.
Q: Why do you think you were so motivated to make that happen?
- It’s all about your WHY. I focused on the goal of graduating college debt-free and that’s what motivated me every single day.
Q: Tell us about your path after college.
- Out of college I became a financial planner but I found that wasn’t really what I wanted to be doing.
- I got a few jobs in the real estate industry which opened up my eyes to real estate investing and I eventually got my Real Estate License.
- I finally landed a corporate finance job at a global manufacturing firm in 2016.
Q: And you just left that job?
- Passive income has been a really big focus for me over the past few years. We bought our first rental property in 2017 and we now have 5 properties for a total of 35 units.
- I also have some royalties on a book and I have another passive income business.
Q: I think this is a perfect transition to your book, “Money Honey. A Simple 7-Step Guide For Getting Your Financial Shit Together.” What are some key principles from the book that you’d like to share today?
- The 2 areas my readers have told me have helped the most are around the topics of investing and saving.
- Investing- don’t wait to start investing. Time is your biggest advantage when it comes to investing.
- When it comes to savings, I teach having 4 savings buckets.
- Emergency savings- always at $1,000 or more saved.
- Medium-term savings- things you’re saving for in the next 12 months.
- The 3rd is for long-term savings- Anything over 12 months but before retirement.
- Lastly, the 4th bucket is your retirement bucket.
Q: You speak at events all over and teach young people about finances regularly. Where do you teach your audience to start?
- The first step is to Master the Basics of money-management.
- Budgeting, savings, debt pay-off, and investing.
- Probably the best place to start is paying off credit card debt.
- When it comes to budgeting, a lot of people look at how they’re going to cut out expenses but a lot of people don’t look at creating more income. You can only reduce your bills so much, but you can make as much money you want.
- A quick bonus tip would be to make sure you and your significant other are on the same page when it comes to money.
Q: When you look into the future over the next 5-10 years, how do you aspire to change people’s lives through your work or your influence?
- There is an epidemic in America and it is lack of financial education and if I can continue to teach people about finances in a fun and informative way, I’d like to do that.
- I have a 2nd book coming out later this year and it’s about passive income and how I was able to do what I’ve done.
- I loved some of her Cutco lessons: the idea of good days and bad days, not taking things personally, and having a more even-keel outlook on the events in life. She also talked about the benefits of standing out.
- I also want to point out the importance of Rachel graduating college debt free and the impact that can make on a young person’s financial life.
- Rachel’s saving paradigm is important to consider. I (Dan) always encourage people to try to live on 70% of their income and save 30%.
- Eliminate and avoid credit card debt.
- When budgeting, remember that you can spend less and/ or earn more. Both are important but earning more is easier. Increase the value you bring to the market.
Show Notes for this episode provided by Carlo Cipollina.
To learn more and get access to all episodes, visit our podcast page!
BRÈINFÚEL is a new beverage co-founded by Silver Cup Cutco alum Colton Horn. This is NOT an energy drink, but instead is a scientifically derived blend from coffees, teas, collagen, and antioxidants. BRÈINFÚEL uniquely puts your brain and body in the zone, prolonging mental focus, sharpening alertness and decision-making, and protecting your brain from burnout.career
Be Smarter. Think Faster. Live Beyond. Go to Breinfuel.com and use the code “CLSK” at checkout for 35% off your first order (unlimited quantity!).
CVI (Core Values Index) is the most reliable personality assessment ever created. Many leaders – both in and out of Cutco/Vector – have used CVI to learn more about themselves and about the people they lead. You can get your FREE CVI assessment by visiting here. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and you’ll get your results immediately. You’ll then have the option to upgrade your report to a detailed assessment that will blow you away with its insight. Click here to take your FREE CVI test.
Organifi is the Cutco of superfood blends, made with only the highest-quality, plant-based ingredients. The “Green Juice” contains 11 superfoods, like moringa, spirulina, beets, turmeric, and other all natural, organic ingredients. It’s a great breakfast replacement, and so easy to use … you just mix it with water when you’re ready to drink. My personal favorite is their “Gold Tea,” which boosts your immunity and helps you sleep.
You can visit here to check out the full line of Organifi’s products. You get 15% off everything they carry by using the discount code “CLSK.” Try something from Organifi today!
If you like wine, but sometimes get a headache from drinking it, you need to try Good Weather Wine, founded by legendary Cutco/Vector alum Mark Lovas. All their wines are sugar-free, low in sulfites, and with no additives. You can get a monthly shipment of 3, 6, or 12 bottles, and they’ll make it super easy by making the selections for you based on your preferences. It’s like having your own wine buyer to help you pick.
Check out GoodWeatherWine.com to get started, and enter the discount code “CLSK” when you check out to get free shipping on your order.