ABOUT TODAY’S GUEST | JOHN CARPENTER
Q&A WITH JOHN CARPENTER
Q: Tell us a little about yourself before you started selling Cutco.
- I started working when I was in 3rd grade because my parents are deaf (my mom is blind too). They liked bowling, and I was able to be their automatic score keeper. It paid $2/ hour plus 3 free games every hour I worked.
- I had a yard maintenance business.
- And when I was 16, I got a job in construction with my grandmother’s company. I was making 3 times minimum wage.
- When I was in school, I was an accounting major, and I figured I should get a job more in line with business, and that’s how I started with Cutco.
Q: What were some of the initial experiences that stand out?
- On the 3rd day of training, I refused the base pay because I was confident that commission was going to be better for me.
- I had great confidence in the product and I had really great mentors.
Q: What made your manager (Mark Karuza) so special to you as a leader?
- I felt like he had a wealth of wisdom when it came to being great at making a great future and making a great life.
- He taught me how to be a better man, husband, and a father.
- Great leaders find the time to take an interest in other people.
- Mark had a great work ethic.
- He also taught me the importance of taking time away with my wife on a regular basis and have a date night.
Q: I would like you to tell us about your first summer as a Vector District Manager because some amazing sales leaders came out of your office that first year.
- At first I wasn’t doing very well and one of the managers pulls me aside and points out that I wasn’t being myself — I was trying to be my manager. I realized I needed to be John Carpenter and no one else.
Q: You have an amazing reputation for uplifting other people around you. What do you think creates that and how can other people capture a little of John Carpenter into their own personality?
- I have to be up front. I’m not an innovator, I’m a stealer of other people’s stuff. My manager turned me on to Zig Ziglar and he always talked about how important it is to be positive.
- I love life!
- I love over tipping service people, just for how it makes people feel.
Q: For young entrepreneurs just getting started in business who want to advance their careers, what advice would you give them?
- Ask yourself who’s getting the result you want to achieve and find out what they’re doing and do it. Get around them and learn their thinking.
Q: You’ve mentioned your wife, Monica, a number of times and she’s played a major role in the advancement of your career. What role has she played as your partner and leader to help you grow and advance?
- She’s been my biggest cheerleader and she’s always believed in me.
Q: As you look into the future, how do you aspire to change people’s lives through your work or through your influence?
- I want to keep helping people in Cutco. We are the sure thing and we can help anyone succeed in their life no matter what your goals and dreams are.
- I want to reiterate the idea that every person has self-doubt. Having someone there for you to tell you, “you CAN do it” makes all the difference. It’s important that we are that person for people too.
- “I love life!” Have gratitude for every day we have and have a generous spirit to help others feel that way too.
- “How do you make people feel?” Are you an uplifting force? How can you become more uplifting?
Show Notes for this episode provided by Carlo Cipollina.
To get access to all episodes and free resources, visit our podcast page!
BRÈINFÚEL is a new beverage co-founded by Silver Cup Cutco alum Colton Horn. This is NOT an energy drink, but instead is a scientifically derived blend from coffees, teas, collagen, and antioxidants. BRÈINFÚEL uniquely puts your brain and body in the zone, prolonging mental focus, sharpening alertness and decision-making, and protecting your brain from burnout.
Be Smarter. Think Faster. Live Beyond. Go to Breinfuel.com and use the code “CLSK” at checkout for 35% off your first order (unlimited quantity!).
CVI (Core Values Index) is the most reliable personality assessment ever created. Many leaders – both in and out of Cutco/Vector – have used CVI to learn more about themselves and about the people they lead. You can get your FREE CVI assessment by visiting here. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and you’ll get your results immediately. You’ll then have the option to upgrade your report to a detailed assessment that will blow you away with its insight. Click here to take your FREE CVI test.
Organifi is the Cutco of superfood blends, made with only the highest-quality, plant-based ingredients. The “Green Juice” contains 11 superfoods, like moringa, spirulina, beets, turmeric, and other all natural, organic ingredients. It’s a great breakfast replacement, and so easy to use … you just mix it with water when you’re ready to drink. My personal favorite is their “Gold Tea,” which boosts your immunity and helps you sleep.
You can visit here to check out the full line of Organifi’s products. You get 15% off everything they carry by using the discount code “CLSK.” Try something from Organifi today!
If you like wine, but sometimes get a headache from drinking it, you need to try Good Weather Wine, founded by legendary Cutco/Vector alum Mark Lovas. All their wines are sugar-free, low in sulfites, and with no additives. You can get a monthly shipment of 3, 6, or 12 bottles, and they’ll make it super easy by making the selections for you based on your preferences. It’s like having your own wine buyer to help you pick.
Check out GoodWeatherWine.com to get started, and enter the discount code “CLSK” when you check out to get free shipping on your order.