ABOUT TODAY’S EPISODE | JIM LAWRENCE
Jim Lawrence has been an elite professional in the Talent Acquisition industry for over 25 years. He was a star Track & Field athlete in high school and college, top sales leader and Branch Manager in Cutco/Vector, graduated from Washington State University and immediately married his high-school sweetheart and started their family. He used his Vector skills and experience to get a job that was not normally offered to recent college grads, and he has been a super-achiever in his industry ever since. He ran his own company for 12 years, has raised 2 daughters, and built a significant portfolio of real estate holdings in the Silicon Valley area. His is a true Great American Success Story!
Q&A WITH JIM LAWRENCE
Q: Tell us what you remember about your early experiences and lessons you learned in your time with Cutco/Vector.
- We talked a lot about fear of failure but also the fear of success. Being positive and having a constructive view of your experiences.
- Goal setting, planning, and taking action are the 3 steps to success.
Q: You and I both got to work with Filippo Mancini, one of the most legendary leaders in Cutco/ Vector history, what are some lessons you learned working with Filippo?
- His energy is contagious. His positive attitude is contagious.
Q: Your first post-college job was with a recruiting company and I’ve heard you tell the story that they didn’t hire new college grads but they hired you. Tell us that story.
- I knew I wanted to do something in sales and I went in for the interview process and when the recruiter asked me why I wanted to work there I asked her what the average rep makes there and she said $80,000 a year. I said, I’ll take it. She asked why and I responded, “because I’ve never been average at anything and I’m not planning on starting now. So I got the job.”
Q: You succeeded right out of the gate with that company and they eventually asked you to pioneer a program to help new college grads start with the company and succeed.
- Yeah, I went around to all the senior sales people and asked them for what they do to be successful and out of that I created a training manual.
- Sure enough they made me the Training and Development Manager.
- My program was a 3 month program that took someone from no experience to being a successful sales person.
- There are no born salespeople, it’s a learned skill that you can develop in others.
- However, I do feel that drive is either present or not present in someone.
Q: You started your own company doing recruiting, what made you start your own company?
- I was doing the client acquisition, the recruiting and training new recruiters so I was already doing everything necessary to run a company so I figured I would just take the leap of faith and start my own company. I figured that if I could do it for someone else, I could do it for myself.
Q: You had that firm for 12 years. Where did your career take you after that?
- I had a great run with my own company. Then I was brought into a start up that had less than 100 people and helped to build it to over 4,000 and went through a successful IPO.
- I realize that I’m a really good at building, and not so motivated about maintaining.
Q: What are some of the most important attributes that recruiters look for in applicants for job openings?
- Drive, a sense of urgency, a do-it now mentality, being willing to put in your best effort.
- Also a proven track record of success and did you do something to distinguish yourself from others?
Q: What tips would you have for a young people who want to be able to achieve financial success?
- Save your money! Don’t be the “rich friend” who pays for all your friend’s drinks when you go out.
- Have a financial goal.
- Don’t be afraid to stretch it a little bit, in terms of purchasing your first home.
- NO CREDIT CARD DEBT!
Q: As you look ahead to the next 5 to 10 years, what are you most excited about?
- Now that we’re empty nesters I think we’ll travel a bit more.
- I’m really looking forward to building the team I’m a part of.
- I love how Jim learned to put a positive spin on all of life’s challenges.
- The importance of setting goals.
- Bringing energy!
- Branch Manager- a Vector/ Cutco manager, often a college student, who runs a sales office during the summer months.
Show Notes provided by Carlo Cipollina
To learn more and get access to all episodes, visit our podcast page!
BRÈINFÚEL is a new beverage co-founded by Silver Cup Cutco alum Colton Horn. This is NOT an energy drink, but instead is a scientifically derived blend from coffees, teas, collagen, and antioxidants. BRÈINFÚEL uniquely puts your brain and body in the zone, prolonging mental focus, sharpening alertness and decision-making, and protecting your brain from burnout.
Be Smarter. Think Faster. Live Beyond. Go to Breinfuel.com and use the code “CLSK” at checkout for 35% off your first order (unlimited quantity!).
CVI (Core Values Index) is the most reliable personality assessment ever created. Many leaders – both in and out of Cutco/Vector – have used CVI to learn more about themselves and about the people they lead. You can get your FREE CVI assessment by visiting here. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and you’ll get your results immediately. You’ll then have the option to upgrade your report to a detailed assessment that will blow you away with its insight. Click here to take your FREE CVI test.
Organifi is the Cutco of superfood blends, made with only the highest-quality, plant-based ingredients. The “Green Juice” contains 11 superfoods, like moringa, spirulina, beets, turmeric, and other all natural, organic ingredients. It’s a great breakfast replacement, and so easy to use … you just mix it with water when you’re ready to drink. My personal favorite is their “Gold Tea,” which boosts your immunity and helps you sleep.
You can visit here to check out the full line of Organifi’s products. You get 15% off everything they carry by using the discount code “CLSK.” Try something from Organifi today!
If you like wine, but sometimes get a headache from drinking it, you need to try Good Weather Wine, founded by legendary Cutco/Vector alum Mark Lovas. All their wines are sugar-free, low in sulfites, and with no additives. You can get a monthly shipment of 3, 6, or 12 bottles, and they’ll make it super easy by making the selections for you based on your preferences. It’s like having your own wine buyer to help you pick.
Check out GoodWeatherWine.com to get started, and enter the discount code “CLSK” when you check out to get free shipping on your order.