ABOUT TODAY’S EPISODE | J. BRAD BRITTON
Brad Britton is the current Southland Division Manager of the Cutco/Vector organization, headquartered in Anaheim, CA. His career with the company dates back to 1988, when he started as a sales rep in Texas. His path led him to Oklahoma and then California, where he was a National Champion District Manager in Sacramento in 1993. He became one of the top-producing Division Managers in the company, and ultimately took on the role of Regional Executive in the Western Region from 1999 through 2005. Brad left the Cutco/Vector business for nine years at that point, returning in 2014 to lead the Southland Division and spread his influence throughout the entire company through programs like the Cutco Cares World Impact Initiative, which he started. A true legend in the company, Brad has been directly responsible for at least $275 million in Cutco sales, and has indirectly influenced hundreds of millions more in sales. The Southland Division won the “Elite 8” Division Silver Cup in 2020.
Q&A WITH J. BRAD BRITTON
INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY GUEST HOST — TRENT BOOTH
How’d you get started with Cutco?
• Brad heard about Cutco/Vector from his friend, Randy Meador
• Started with John Carpenter
• Working with John was a fantastic learning experience because John was such a great example of positivity, magnetism, and how to treat other people.
How did your path take you from new rep to District Manager in Sacramento?
• Second became Branch Manager in Beaumont TX
• Broke the all-time record, finished #2 behind Jeff Kunkel
• Became District Manager in OKC, then opportunity opened up in Sacramento CA
What contributed to your great success as a DM/DVM in Sacramento?
• Having a consistent home in Sacramento led to a building process that created an “empire” within a couple years.
• Mark Lovas was a key player in those early days, and Brad’s influence was instrumental in helping Mark grow and build his career.
Tell about building the dynasty of the Western Region.
• I paid attention to my mentor, Bruce Goodman, and tried to model what he had done.
• “Do right by people,” was a critical lesson from Bruce. Even if it cost some money in the short-term, you make decisions in the best interest of your people.
• “Pay attention to how you treat people, because you never know who might work for you someday.” Always being aware of our influence on others.
• Developing the Western Region was a byproduct of running the business right on a day-to-day basis.
Walk us through the thinking that led you to leave the company for a while.
• Brad had a special needs son who needed extra time.
• Was home schooling his older daughter as well.
• Had a friend that had an opportunity for him to do some flexible consulting work.
• Brad always thought he would eventually come back to Vector in some capacity down the road. He was away from the business for 9 years.
• Trent also left Vector for 20 months and could NOT find anything resembling the kind of culture that existed in Vector/Cutco.
• You don’t know what you have until it’s gone.
• For many people in Vector, this is their first career and they don’t have anything to compare it to.
Lessons Brad has shared with his daughter, Madison:
• Brad shares about his daughter, Madison, working for the past 4 Summers.
• Trent’s own daughter just started as a Cutco rep this Summer.
• Reps have time/capacity to do more than they think they can do.
• The importance of the ways in which we talk to ourselves.
• “Treat yourself as well as the people you are serving.” — Trent
How did the Cutco Cares World Impact Initiative come to be?
• A way for Vector/Cutco people to impact others while on our annual company trips.
• Started with an experience in Rome, where a group brought food to some homeless people.
• The next year in Prague, a small group again served the community
• The formal program for Cutco Cares began the following year (2017) in Costa Rica, helping children who lived in poverty nearby.
• Since then, we have also served communities in Munich and Cayman Islands.
• We serve an underserved part of humanity.
If you’re not growing, life gets really boring.
“Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.” — Helen Keller
Interview ends with Brad’s 4 core philosophies:
• Connection — with every person that we encounter
• Execution — actually doing the things we know we ought to do
• Simplicity — finding ways to simplify our tasks
• Gratitude — The opposite is entitlement
- Coming Soon!
- Coming Soon!
To learn more and get access to all episodes, visit our podcast page!
BRÈINFÚEL is a new beverage co-founded by Silver Cup Cutco alum Colton Horn. This is NOT an energy drink, but instead is a scientifically derived blend from coffees, teas, collagen, and antioxidants. BRÈINFÚEL uniquely puts your brain and body in the zone, prolonging mental focus, sharpening alertness and decision-making, and protecting your brain from burnout.
Be Smarter. Think Faster. Live Beyond. Go to Breinfuel.com and use the code “CLSK” at checkout for 35% off your first order (unlimited quantity!).
CVI (Core Values Index) is the most reliable personality assessment ever created. Many leaders – both in and out of Cutco/Vector – have used CVI to learn more about themselves and about the people they lead. You can get your FREE CVI assessment by visiting here. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and you’ll get your results immediately. You’ll then have the option to upgrade your report to a detailed assessment that will blow you away with its insight. Click here to take your FREE CVI test.
Organifi is the Cutco of superfood blends, made with only the highest-quality, plant-based ingredients. The “Green Juice” contains 11 superfoods, like moringa, spirulina, beets, turmeric, and other all natural, organic ingredients. It’s a great breakfast replacement, and so easy to use … you just mix it with water when you’re ready to drink. My personal favorite is their “Gold Tea,” which boosts your immunity and helps you sleep.
You can visit here to check out the full line of Organifi’s products. You get 15% off everything they carry by using the discount code “CLSK.” Try something from Organifi today!
If you like wine, but sometimes get a headache from drinking it, you need to try Good Weather Wine, founded by legendary Cutco/Vector alum Mark Lovas. All their wines are sugar-free, low in sulfites, and with no additives. You can get a monthly shipment of 3, 6, or 12 bottles, and they’ll make it super easy by making the selections for you based on your preferences. It’s like having your own wine buyer to help you pick.
Check out GoodWeatherWine.com to get started, and enter the discount code “CLSK” when you check out to get free shipping on your order.