ABOUT YOUR HOST | DAN CASETTA
Dan Casetta has spent over 30 years as a proven producer and expert trainer in the sales industry. In his career with the Cutco/Vector sales organization, Dan has been a multiple-time National Champion who has broken literally hundreds of company sales records and produced approximately $200 million in sales, on his way to induction into the Cutco/Vector Hall of Fame. He has trained and influenced sales reps and sales managers from all across North America, and been invited into multiple organizations to share his insights on sales, leadership, and personal development.
NOTES FOR THIS EPISODE
Two parts to the title:
- SELLING – What is the essence of selling?
- Influencing people
- Building coalition
- Shaping behaviors
- Effecting positive change
- THE WORLD’S FINEST
- You can’t see what you don’t believe in.
- You have to believe that what you are asking someone to do is IN THEIR BEST INTEREST.
- What convinces is CONVICTION.
SIX FUNDAMENTALS FOR SUCCESS IN SELLING
- Quality Questions
- Building Value
- Ability to Close
- Consistent Progress
- Mental Toughness
- In professional selling, it’s more than just the product that matters. People buy into YOU, the sales rep.
- They’re not just “buying from you,” but “doing business with you.”
- Bring positive energy.
- Take a genuine interest in others.
- Build your story. Enroll others in your vision.
- Show appreciation, both now and later.
- Selling is not telling.
- TYPES OF QUESTIONS TO ASK
- Positive Response questions – customer says yes, agrees, or expresses interest
- As-if questions – give customer a chance to feel what it will be like to own the product
- Any presentation can be designed with the right kind of questions that can take someone along a spectrum to build interest and commitment.
- This is the essence of successful selling.
- Show practical evidence (Logic)
- But also bring in the feeling (Emotion)
- Can you go above and beyond with the service you provide?
ABILITY TO CLOSE
- There’s a big difference between presentation and persuasion.
- You have to be able to take someone past hesitation into making a decision.
- Learn to “pre-frame” common customer concerns.
- 3 Human Tendencies to understand and work past:
- All people tend to procrastinate.
- All people have trouble making decisions.
- All people tend to choose the path of least resistance.
- Learn to MINIMIZE THE RISK for your customers.
- One way this happens is through setting goals.
- There are 2 ways to live:
- Making a living or Designing your life
- We all need long-term goals to set our direction/design.
- We also need short-term goals to motivate us into action.
- The bigger key to consistent progress is LEARNING.
- Realize that results WILL fluctuate. There is no other possibility.
- Don’t let yourself get too high or too low with the ups and downs of sales.
- Change how you view your challenges.
- An opportunity for growth – You build strength through resistance.
- A chance to become a better leader – gives you better stories to tell
- A test of your character – reveals who you have become
- Be solution-oriented
- What’s one key skill you can work on that can make the most difference?
- What’s one key action you can take that can yield the most immediate results?
- Focus on what is in your control.
SALES IS SUCH A UNIVERSAL SKILL. Get into things that you believe in. Cutco (for those of you who work with the company) is a great place to be. Once you’re into something that you believe in ….
- Learn to connect with others.
- Become someone who can question skillfully and listen carefully.
- Help people understand the value in what you are proposing.
- Develop the confidence and the ability to persuade others into action.
- Constantly work on your craft and up-level your goals.
- Develop the mindset of a champion.
WHAT IT TAKES TO SUCCEED IN SALES IS WHAT IT TAKES TO SUCCEED IN LIFE!
I hope these insights can help you achieve your biggest goals, and bring others along for the ride!
— Dan Casetta
Let me know what you think in the comments section below!
To learn more and get access to all episodes, visit our podcast page!