ABOUT TODAY’S GUEST | BRYAN HURLMAN
Bryan Hurlman has become one of the most consistently excellent performers in the Cutco/Vector Marketing organization. A veteran of the business since 2007, Bryan became a District Manager at the age of 19. From humble beginnings, and through several peaks and valleys, Bryan has risen to the pinnacle of success with the company. Now serving as the Division Manager for the Virginia Division, he has won nine National Championship Silver Cups in his management career. A member of the company’s Hall of Fame with over $50 million in sales, Bryan is best known for the passion and energy that he brings to his work and to his life.
Q&A WITH BRYAN HURLMAN
Q: Tell us a little about how you got started selling Cutco with Vector.
- I was born and raised in a small town in North Carolina in a family that was not financially well off, but we were wealthy in other areas.
- I started working jobs from the age of 14, and by the time I was thinking about college, I knew I was going to be paying for it myself, and I didn’t want to take out loans. So I needed a job that paid well. My friend got a flier on her car for a $15 base pay job so I came in for the interview and got the job.
- My parents were not supportive of the job at first, but my mom saw my first paycheck, which was about $1,300, and she became a believer.
Q: What were some of the moments you feel transformed your career or your life as you’ve been with Vector?
- The first was in my Fast Start earning more money than I thought was possible. That was life-changing.
- My 2nd summer I worked really hard to train as an Assistant Manager. That Fall, rather than go back to my regular college program, I stayed at home to continue working with Larry Manley. Ultimately, I decided to leave school to focus on developing as a manager. The conversation I had with my mom was a transformational experience.
- In 2012 I won a Silver Cup but was living above my means, so after struggling in 2013, I was evicted from my office space. I went on a company trip and had one of the most powerful and life-changing conversations of my life with Scott Dennis where I made a decision about who I was going to be as the leader of my team.
Q: I’d love to get into what you feel are some of the qualities or attributes that you bring to the table as a leader in the company.
- Passion, energy, and enthusiasm.
- Fun – Nothing in life is worth doing if you’re not having fun at it.
- No complaining, no excuses.
- Grit, which was born out of my early life experiences
- Gratitude – What you appreciate appreciates.
Q: How does someone develop more passion and energy?
- Figure out what your values are. My values are faith, gratitude, energy, excellence, integrity, and loyalty. When you know your values, it’s easy to set your priorities which allows you to manage your time in a way that’s congruent with those priorities and values.
- Know with as much clear detail as possible what you want (short-term and long-term). Then reverse engineer that so you know what you need to do in the short term.
- It’s all about micro-speed and macro-patience.
- Celebrate your wins. You get what you search for in life. Humans are addicted to progress.
Q: What message do you most want to share with the audience of this podcast?
- Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. You’re going to either have the pain of regret or you’re going to have the pain that comes from the scars and bruises from failure. Take risks.
- Life will have peaks and valleys. The key to life is shortening the distance between peaks and the depth of the valleys. Your level of personal development will be one key in achieving that.
- Your business will only develop to your level of development. To develop your business, develop yourself.
Q: As you look into the future, how do you aspire to change people’s lives through your work or through your influence?
- I’m most excited about being a father and starting a family. I have an amazing wife who was a butt kicker in Cutco.
- I want to influence 1 million young people, develop 1,000 Branch Managers, 100 District Managers, and 10 Division Managers throughout my time with Vector.
Show Notes provided by Carlo Cipollina.
To learn more and get access to all episodes, visit our podcast page!
BRÈINFÚEL is a new beverage co-founded by Silver Cup Cutco alum Colton Horn. This is NOT an energy drink, but instead is a scientifically derived blend from coffees, teas, collagen, and antioxidants. BRÈINFÚEL uniquely puts your brain and body in the zone, prolonging mental focus, sharpening alertness and decision-making, and protecting your brain from burnout.
Be Smarter. Think Faster. Live Beyond. Go to Breinfuel.com and use the code “CLSK” at checkout for 35% off your first order (unlimited quantity!).
CVI (Core Values Index) is the most reliable personality assessment ever created. Many leaders – both in and out of Cutco/Vector – have used CVI to learn more about themselves and about the people they lead. You can get your FREE CVI assessment by visiting here. It takes less than 10 minutes to complete, and you’ll get your results immediately. You’ll then have the option to upgrade your report to a detailed assessment that will blow you away with its insight. Click here to take your FREE CVI test.
Organifi is the Cutco of superfood blends, made with only the highest-quality, plant-based ingredients. The “Green Juice” contains 11 superfoods, like moringa, spirulina, beets, turmeric, and other all natural, organic ingredients. It’s a great breakfast replacement, and so easy to use … you just mix it with water when you’re ready to drink. My personal favorite is their “Gold Tea,” which boosts your immunity and helps you sleep.
You can visit here to check out the full line of Organifi’s products. You get 20% off everything they carry by using the discount code “CLSK.” Try something from Organifi today!